Wednesday, July 2, 2008

New Post! Finally!

To my very very very few readers: sorry! I'm a stinky blog-keeper. Part of that was trouble with stupid google accounts, but really, I seem to have a fear of commitment when it comes to just sitting down and writing for a couple hours.

Blog resolution: shorter and more frequent posts. that way I won't forget to post cool things as they happen. and Kofi Baby, let's DO make Friday blog day! Starting this week. We gonna be so consistent peeps be all like, ring the alarm!
Yup.

So, since APRIL (jeez), I have finished the Lyric Tree sweater pattern (and sold a whole bunch of copies!), took a little trip to Estes (not for the wool market though - more later), moved twice (bleeeehh), applied for more jobs than you'd believe and still haven't gotten hired, knitted a hell of a lot, crashed the bike again, ordered much needed prescription sunglasses so I can drive during the daytime without being a menace, and indulged thoroughly in my secret passion - grocery shopping.

>The Sweater<
(see previous post for pics)
It is keeping me fed. In the mere week and a half since I listed it in my etsy shop it has sold *41 copies.* I am still in shock - very very pleased shock :) I can't thank my customers enough, nor all the people who have shared it in ravelry forums and blogs. You are all a-freaking-mazing. One highlight in particular elicited the biggest happy dance in the history of happy dances - Lyric Tree was featured on Lime&Violet's Daily Chum. Squeeee!!! Not posted by L&V themselves, of course, but I'm hoping they saw it and are finding their way over to my blog and etsy store and figuring out that we're practically neighbors, and then they'll ask me to be a regular on the podcast! Hehe, in my little mind this is the natural progression of the way things should work.

>Tangent<
I just got a call from my DM telling me I received a summons for jury duty back home. WTF? Time to act as biased as possible. I do not want to sit on a jury in traffic court, nor do I want to drive three hours to do it. Blech.

>Recipe<
I've been cooking soooo much! What else do I have to do - I email pdf's all day.
STRICKEN SALSA:
Whole buncha strawberries, 1 tomato, 1 avocado, diced
3 T lemon juice
Salt, black pepper, crushed dry red papper, cinnamon, nutmeg, cumin, paprika, chili powder, to taste
Drizzle of honey
Fresh basil leaves, for garnish

Stir it all together, serve with EVERYTHING, keep chilled, and keep throwing things in so it never runs out - I may add a nectarine to mine later.

I need to go make hummus later...

>Etsy Teams!<
One of Etsy's newest street teams, Lincoln Handmade, is gearing up to kick some tushy and spread the joy of local craftery to the unsuspecting people of Lincoln, Nebraska. We had a lively meeting at a local coffee shop last night, and got quite a bit of planning and brain-storming accomplished, despite a hoarde of writers doing readings of their work in the next room. The discussion of promos and group challenges was underscored by an essay about pot smoking from one writer. (Disclaimer: I am not passing judgement or deriding the Lincoln writers community in any way - I'm sure they are all wonderful, and I support their endeavors, legal or not :-} We just need to not have our meeting at the same time.) Awkward turtle city.
Anywho, to find our shops on Etsy, search the tag LNKHandmade Team, and if you're in the Lincoln area, watch out for a passel of crafty women (and maybe men - I just don't think we have any yet), in matching shirts, posting flyers and taking over the farmers' markets. We may also be cheering.

Craftily yours,
--Stricken

PS, if I don't post on Friday (with pictures), poke me with sharp objects, please and thanks.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My mom was able to get me out of jury duty without me having to leave college. I don't know if it would work for you, but I think that there is some option about going to school way out of state that you can use to not even have to go to jury selection.

Stricken said...

She actually figured that out a couple days after the letter came - no jury duty for me!

Elizabeth Metz said...

So you're coming to Omaha *when* next?

We'll see about the podcast.

:)

---v