Thursday, October 25, 2007

Welcome

As a former xanga-ist, I am not completely new to the world of blogging, but let's consider this the birth of a new blogger. Most of my posts should be about knitting, but there will inevitably be bits and pieces about my adventures in college-land, viola playing, and becoming a professional starving artist.

Allow me to introduce myself:
My real-world name is Jordan. I'm a student at UNL, majoring in viola performance and often wishing I could major in Domestic Goddessry. My roommate, our yarn stash, the fish, Klaus the viola, my library, obscene amounts of furniture, my Mary Kay bags (Why yes, I do sell the nation's #1 selling brand of skin-care and cosmetics! What can I say? I'm a poor college student.), annnnd I (if there's room), live in a 11'x16' dorm room! If you think your house is too small for your yarn stash, imagine two knitters and all their stuff living in a closet. Then give thanks for your spacious abode.
Besides being a sardine, I also enjoy cooking, live theater, dancing, cheese, chocolate, and hiking when I'm in Colorado. In addition music I'm studying German, hence the name Stricken - v. to knit. It also just sounds sexy, even if you don't know it means "knitting." I listen to Lime and Violet like it's my job, and my pattern stash, bookmarks list, and geek-queendom have all grown exponentially in the month and a half since I discovered the magical world of podcasts. In fact, one of my large goals for next summer is to have my own podcast, co-hosted by my mother and/or my roommate. Mom isn't a big-time knitter, but she's got some 'tude, and she lets the most wonderfully inappropriate things slip sometimes. She also spray-paints our neighbors' porch lights if they're too bright and shine into our living room... You see where I get my badass genes.
Most of my knitting in the past few years has been my own designs, which I need to type up patterns for, and get copyrights on (:-p barf, paperwork...). I tend to make things up as I go, and I LOVE cabling. I hate DOING the cabling itself, but when it's done it makes me very happy, and I've made a couple of garments with really neat cabled trees; I just bought five skeins of Araucania Nature Wool Chunky in a bright lime green colorway which is going to become a cardigan... probably with a cabled tree on the back. I am not originally from Lincoln, THANK GOD!!!, but rather hail from beautiful Manhattan, KS, home to Kansas State University, a lively and varied small-business scene, and the world record for most bars within a square mile, Aggieville. But most importantly, Manhattan is home to Wildflower Yarns and Knitwear! Stop by the shop if you're in the neighborhood. I could pimp sooooo many more Manhattan businesses, but we'll just stick to knitting for now.
Welcome to the blog. Should you continue to read my ramblings, I will lead you on a journey of words through my adventures in knitting, music, maybe some dating, and whatever else may come my way that I find it fit to spew on the internet.

Happy knitting!
--Stricken

5 comments:

Unknown said...

You are adorable!

vlaprof said...

Must be something about being a violist and loving knitting. I know a lot of us out there. And we seem to like cabling, as well!

Maliase said...

Yay! *dances for the blog*

Note on copyrights: have a look at your copyright law- you don't actually have to GET a copyright, you automatically have it for anything that's your own work.

You CAN pay money, do paperwork, etc for one, but it usually only gets done when the work comes under contest.

I think.

Don't quote me on this, but I'm pretty sure that's what the IP lawyer said in the lecture.

:)

deawn said...

I did time at UNL, eventually escaping with a minor in vocal performance (but only because I was too lazy to drag the piano to my place). Never would I consider viola, because strange clefs make my mind explode.

Knitting is da bomb, however!

Okay, bye.

deawn said...

Forgot to add--my Uncle Willie died in Manhattan.

(Small world, eh?)

Okay, I'll stop now. For real.